Monday, March 18, 2013

     Watching "The Bible" episode three on the History channel last night I was moved by King Darius' actions. After having Daniel thrown into the lions den he then said "May your God, whom you worship continually, rescue you." He then went and fasted all night for God to save Daniel. Darius possibly had heard accounts of God's deliverance of Daniel's three friends from the fiery furnace (Daniel 3).  As we all know God answered the prayer and fasting with Daniel miraculously not being touched all night by the hungry lions.
     When I first excepted Christ as my Savior I would fast on Thursdays for my Pastor's wife and her ladies class that she taught on Thursday nights. Even though my fasting was for the Holy Spirit to lead her and anoint her for God's purposes I too was encouraged and strengthened in my walk with the Lord. When my Pastor and his wife moved on to a new church I stopped the fasting on Thursday's and for the most part never fasted anymore. I have often wondered why I have not seen as many miracles as I used to see and I believe it is because of my failure to fast in my dedication to God.
     Daniel was depicted in the History Channel's "The Bible" as being terrified when he was thrown in the lions den even though the true Bible does not read that way. I have to admit that I am sure there might have been some clean up needed if that would have been me. Who would not have been terrified? Yet at some point I believe that faith rose up in Daniel and he 'expected' God to save him. We need to expect God to answer our prayers like Daniel did. I feel faith rising up in me again!
     Some times our mountain seems so very big. But, isn't our God so much bigger? Didn't our God, the only God, the Alpha and Omega, create everything everywhere? YES HE DID! I don't know what you are going through but GOD IS ABLE! 
     I am going through one of the biggest battles of my life, and it is for my life. This Friday March 22 2013 my battle will either begin or it will end. I believe that it will end, glory to God! Starting Thursday March 21 2013 I am returning to my Thursday fasting to draw closer to God, and to make my prayers more effective for me, for my family, friends, and for you. I ask you to join in fasting this Thursday and every Thursday for the rest of our lives. We need to draw closer to Him. In James 4:8 the word says to "Draw close to God, and He will draw close to you." Fasting and prayer and reading scripture draw us closer to God. I have said before that I believe that we can have as much of God or as little of God as we want. I want more! Do you?

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Dave! I agree. Fasting, prayer, and reading scripture can lead us closer to God. When we get rid of distractions and put all our focus into spending time with our Savior, we are rewarded with eternal peace and strength! May you continue to inspire others to depend on our awesome and mighty God!
    Blessings,
    Danielle Street

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every relationship we value we take the time for. Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ demands that our loyalty to and love for Him be greater than every other attachment, even that of our own families (Luke 14:26). We MUST spend time with Him!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Dave! I, too, am enjoying the Bible series. I wish I could fast. With some health issues, I'm not able to. In the past, I have given up other things. I haven't fasted in some time. Will have to ponder it again. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been led over the last several weeks to lift up your name to God along with the dozens of others I pray for daily Miss Lynn. You are a precious woman of God and I am so thankful and blessed to have met you. Thank you for who you are and God bless you always! :)

    ReplyDelete