Sunday, April 1, 2012

Interview with David Moore

Picture
There are two seasons throughout the course of our calender year when Christians are particularly mindful of the sacrifice offered to earth for redemption; Christmas and Easter. Is it possible to attend a religious service on those two Sundays and not be reminded of our heavenly Father's great love? Author David Moore can relate to the palpable feelings involved in losing a son for the spiritual gain of others better than most.

On a Friday night in 2002, his son slipped through his fingers and what follows is the nightmare every parent prays to avoid. His sincere narrative involves blood, sweat and tears, and the power of radical change that only prayer can offer. This is more than a bad story with a good ending, and to this day, it still resurrects the painful gut wrenching loss Moore perceived to be his new reality.

Connecting with Moore through our recent interview was a connection to our heavenly Father and the greater purposes he intends to be birthed through pain. The story is painful, the message clear. God loves us more than we could ever imagine and in that love, is everything we could ever need.

MN-Ten years ago, your wife finds a note written by your son stating he had left because he couldn't bear the burden of his perceived failure or what it might do to you. When you realized that he had runaway and why he had run away, what did that do to you as a father?

DM-It made me really take a look at myself. I took custody of my son David when he was one and a half years old and raised him by myself until I married my wife Dorinda five years later. Everyone told me what a great father I was to raise my son by myself for five years and I bought into that. I felt like I had always been a good father, tried to always give to and do as much as I could for him. What I realized after he disappeared was that I had been more of a ruler then a father. I was loud, ruled with anger and fear, with a my way or the highway attitude. This was the same way I was raised and I always hated my dad for it.

MN-You immediately hit the streets doing everything you could to find him. What was that experience like?

DM-It was the most terrifying thing that had ever happened tome. I have lost both of my parents and it is a very hard thing to cope with. It still does not compare to the panic, pain and fear that I felt for those five days.

MN-You interacted with several homeless shelters and street people. What did this experience teach you about homeless Americans?

DM-I have mixed emotions because the homeless people I met in Dayton were wonderful,compassionate, and wanted nothing more then to help me, they would not even accept any money that I tried to give them. The homeless people that I encountered in Atlanta were the opposite. They only wanted to take my money, try to take advantage of me, and I would find out later that they had also robbed my son while he was there. I still have a heart to help the needy and have worked in our food ministry for 9 years but I am also careful with them.

MN-Your prayer of submission to God changes everything. Your son was found moments later, but the instant transformation in you was incredible. In your opinion, what is the greater of the two miracles?

DM-I truly feel like it is not two but both are part of the same miracle. God is always searching for his children to come home just like I was searching for my son. He used this one situation to accomplish one great miracle of salvation for my son David, my wife Dorinda, and I.

MN-Your faith was tested shortly after this event. By this time, you, your wife Dorinda and David have dedicated your lives to God. David was injured in a football game and it was documented through x-rays that he had a torn esophagus and broken neck. You immediately called out to God and minutes later it is confirmed the hole had closed and the neck was no longer broken.What role does prayer play in your family now?

DM-Prayer is a part of our everyday life now as much as eating and breathing. Prayer is how we communicate with God and nourish our relationship with Him. We have seen many other miracles of answered prayer for ourselves and for others through our prayer lives. I have always said that when you need God get down on your face and show Him.

MN-I've seen you write "To God be all the glory"in a few places. Tell me what that means to you.

DM-It is so easy in our flesh to take the credit for things that go right in our lives. Sometimes I have prayed and seen a miracle answer to prayer and then completely forget to recognize and thank God for what He had obviously done. We are very quick to blame God at times. I want to live and talk in a way that always gives God the credit for everything good. Truly every good thing comes from Him.

MN-How is David doing now?

DM-David is doing great. He has been working as a leader in Mission Florida through Abundant Life Church of God in Lakeland Florida. This discipleship group raises up leaders and sends them out into the world to make a difference in the Kingdom of God. David has completed the first step in receiving his minister’s credentials and will be graduating from Lee University this spring with a Bachelors Degree in Church Leadership. I am so very proud of him.

MN-What significance does Easter have for you as it relates to and parallels your relationship with David?

DM-Easter is the most holy and special day of the year for me.God allowed His Son to be humiliated, tortured, and murdered horribly to save us. There is not a one of us that would even consider doing that with our child. I know I wouldn’t. Yet the bible says in Isaiah 53:10 that it pleased God to bruise Him. Both the Father and the Son volunteered to suffer for our salvation. I love my son so very much, yet how much more God loves us.

MN-In writing the book, was it difficult reliving those painful memories?

DM-It really was. I am crying even as I write this now. Every time I rewrote it I was reliving it. It brings back such emotions of pain yet tears of joy.

MN-Do you have a favorite Bible verse that sums up your spiritual journey thus far?

DM-Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will rejoice over thee with singing.

David Moore is a chaplain serving through Victorious Life Church of God in Ypsilanti, Michigan. David volunteers to pray with the sick and the lost in hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, and jails. He is married to the love of his life, Dorinda and has three sons, Shane, Adam, and David. You can learn more about David's ministry and his book at “The Father’s Love Website".  You can order a copy of his book through Tate Publishing or through Amazon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment