Friday, March 29, 2013

Re-posted from my son David's Facebook 


So...I've chosen to stay silent on a subject dominating my news feed for the past week or so, but I've grown tired of silence and feel I need to voice my opinion in the growing debate I witness daily from so many. The topic?

Gay marriage.

While many among you are in support of it...equally as many stand against it.

I don't support gay marriage personally because of my belief in the Words given to us in the Bible, a book I believe to be inspired by God Himself, but I cannot stand idly by as I watch Christians call other other human beings by awful, desecrating names. The lack of love towards the world, who you ask God to send you to on a weekly basis, is clanging brass...the truth is, while we were yet sinners...Christ died for us. He didn't die for us when we were cleaned up...He died for us on the day we were our filthiest...our most treacherous...backstabbing...our murderous days. Let us not forget that ALL have sinned and fallen short. As many have pointed out, perhaps we shouldn't just single out homosexuality or abortion as those "sins" we deem worse than others...but address the "small foxes" that eat away at our own righteousness. Perhaps then we would see it for what it truly is, filthy rags, without the grace, mercy and forgiveness we ask from our Lord and so humbly receive.

On the flip side, those of you who are in support of gay marriage I have this to say: your judgmental behavior is equally inhumane. I've watched just as many despicable names lobbed at those in ministry, or those that believe in God, in which I find my path in life, which is unwarranted as well. Do I believe homosexuality to be a sin? Yes...but no greater than if I harbor hate in my own heart towards another brother. While one is an outward act, it makes it no greater than the sin of my inward act. Many of you claim to love everyone or not be judgmental, yet I've watched as you've lumped me in with those within the church that despitefully curse you. Your judgmental stereotypes are just as guilty as those in which you point the finger to within the church.

While I wish that God could enlighten us all in the error of our ways, I know that He allows us the privilege of free will. I wish I could ask both sides of the argument to quit looking to the other, but look inward. You're both judgmental...and regardless of where we stand on the issue, we're all sinners in need of grace.

Every last one of us.



2 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree Dave. It troubles me as well at the name calling and finger pointing carried out by those who are called to love others as Christ does. If we only frame gay marriage within the same context as adultery, or any sex outside of marriage, perhaps many would not be quite so verbal. Yes, we must look inward at the log in our own eyes. Thank you Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be willing to call sin, sin. But we can do it with love.

    ReplyDelete